EX-ABATTOIR OF PADOVA
Built in the early years of the 20th century, the new Abattoir of Padova showed at the time an avant-garde structure in Europe, with different materials adapted to its specific functions. With an area of nearly two hectares along the 15th century walls, the structure is nowadays a splendid model of industrial architecture, moreover considering is one in a few whole preserved. In the 70', Brema's abattoir was destroyed and converted into a large square, only a hall remained, today turned in theatre. In Paris, la Villette became the City of Sciences and only one hall was preserved from what once used to be a splendid abattoir complex. In Padova, in the 70's the "Comunitą per le Libere Attivitą Culturali" (Community for Free Cultural Activities) is created in order to save the former abattoir. Composed by different associations both cultural and environmental, C.L.A.C.'s target is to preserve the building and its park in order to set up a cultural workshop. As a first result and according to a Law from 1939, both buildings and its park, for its peculiar vegetation, were protected. In 1984, the region of Event recognised the C.L.A.C. as one of the most relevant regional institution in its cultural commitment and now supports it with an annual contribution. In 1989, the Club UNESCO joins the C.L.A.C. and represents the Cultural Workshop at an international level. In 1991, l'Ex-Abattoir is registered in the "Friends of the World Treasures" list. In 1993, C.L.A.C. and Club UNESCO took in charge the International Secretariat management of "Friends of the World Treasures" project. In 1995, the Ex-Abattoir workshop starts to co-operate with the European Council and the ICCROM in a programme aimed to divulge cultural heritage awareness.